Asia Pacific Initiative (API), in partnership with the Brookings Institution in Washington, held an online event on Wednesday, October 14, 2020, titled “Liberal order undone? Japan’s leadership role after Prime Minister Abe”
Dr FUNABASHI Yoichi (Chairman, Asia Pacific Initiative) and Professor HOSOYA Yuichi (Research Director, Asia Pacific Initiative/Professor, Keio University) joined the panel discussion alongside other experts to explore the role of Japan in protecting a free and open international order. Nearly 170 people attended the event and we received many interesting questions from a global audience.
〇Moderator and panelists：
- HOSOYA Yuichi (Research Director – Asia Pacific Initiative/Professor – Keio University)
- FUNABASHI Yoichi （Co-founder and Chairman – Asia Pacific Initiative）
- G. John Ikenberry （Albert G. Milbank Professor of Politics and International Affairs – Princeton University）
- Hans Kundnani （Senior Research Fellow – Europe Programme, Chatham House）
- Céline Pajon （Research Fellow & Head of Japan Research – Center for Asian Studies, French Institute of International Relations; Senior Fellow – Japan Program, Vrije Universiteit Brussel）
- Mireya Solís （Director – Center for East Asia Policy Studies; Senior Fellow – Foreign Policy, Center for East Asia Policy Studies; Philip Knight Chair in Japan Studies, Brookings Institution）
You can watch the full video of the webinar here
The event was held as part of the Liberal International Order project.
< About the Liberal International Order Project >
This project aims to make policy recommendations on what Japan should do to maintain and develop the Liberal International Order (LIO), which is currently facing a global crisis.
In February 2020, API published a book titled “The Crisis of Liberal Internationalism: Japan and the World Order,” which focuses on Japan’s role in the Asia-Pacific region.
“The Crisis of Liberal Internationalism: Japan and the World Order”
Edited by FUNABASHI Yoichi and G. John Ikenberry
Publisher: Brookings Institution Press
First Published: February 4, 2020
Paperback ISBN: 9780815737674
Ebook ISBN: 9780815737681
< About the Brookings Institution >
The Brookings Institution is a public policy research organization based in Washington, DC and one of the most influential think tanks in the world.